Autism Speaks Autism Treatment Network (AS-ATN) is pleased to announce the release of its latest tool kit: Autism and Medication: Safe and Careful Use
, a guide for families of children with autism. Written by medical experts, through their participation in the Autism Intervention Research Network on Physical Health (AIR-P), this free publication provides strategies and resources for parents of children with autism who use medicines to help treat their child’s challenging behavior or manage emotional issues. Although this tool kit focuses on these few categories of medicines, the recommendations can be applied to most medicines.
Like all AS-ATN tool kits, this kit draws its recommendations from the experience of specialists and the evidence-based findings of research involving children and families dealing with autism.
The Autism and Medication: Safe and Careful Use tool kit includes information and tips for families on issues such as:
- Working closely with their child’s doctor or nurse to get the information they need about recommended medicines;
- Measuring and tracking changes in target symptoms;
- Recognizing and managing side effects.
The kit also contains information for health care providers on topics including:
- Explaining medicine choices to families;
- Teaching families about watching for effectiveness;
- Giving information about managing common side effects.
The kit includes a section of medicine tools and resources such as a question prompt list, medicine logs, action plans and behavior frequency records.
Click here to download your free copy of Autism and Medication: Safe and Careful Use