2012-2013 K-12 INDIAN EDUCATION FOR ALL GRANT OPPORTUNITY
The OPI Indian Education for All Division invites Montana school districts to consider an exciting opportunity - the 2012-2013 K-12 INDIAN EDUCATION FOR ALL GRANT. This proposal is a purposeful means for districts to review their comprehensive plans for integrating Indian Education for All and build upon current efforts. All public school districts are eligible to apply for grants in amounts from $1,000 - $15,000. When completing the grant proposal, applicants will be expected to complete the OPI IEFA online teacher survey, which is instrumental in assessing and determining the level of professional development needs and support for planning (details in the full proposal).
We recognize that the submission deadline is in the fall; however, accessing this grant information before the end of this school year will enable interested districts and key personnel to thoroughly and efficiently strategize their plans.
Proposal submission deadline - September 21, 2012
If you would like to receive the grant proposal form in Word format, please contact Joan Franke - firstname.lastname@example.org
For technical assistance, please contact - Justine Jam, 406-444-7490, email@example.com
Guidance and Data
Funding Spectrum Guide: Indian Education for All Examples of activities suggested for IEFA funds (not intended as a definitive list). Also, please see Funding Spectrum Guide: Indian Education For All, listed above:
- Indian Education for All guest speakers
- Visiting experts from local tribes and tribal colleges
- Peer mentoring or cooperative planning for instruction
- Visits to cultural and historical sites with guidance from tribal experts
- Purchase of books and materials that directly support implementation of IEFA
- Book study groups/ literature circles emphasizing evaluation criteria
- Planning time for development of Indian Education for All implementation
- Planning time for familiarization with resources, including OPI website
- Committee work on Indian Education for All curriculum and professional development
- Registration and travel costs for conferences or stipends for professional development
Assess, Plan and Schedule Professional Development – ASSESS professional development needs using a simple survey. Administrators (e.g. superintendents, principals, curriculum directors, IEFA coaches, teacher leaders) may request this 15 minute survey for a group, district, school building or professional learning community.
A Process Guide for Realizing Indian Education for All: Lessons Learned from Lewis & Clark Elementary School – This guide presents insights gained from a two-year process of implementing Indian Education for All into an urban elementary school. Topics covered include: Integrating Indian Education as a form of place-based multicultural education, securing school-based commitment and teamwork, partnering with Indian People, intercultural communication – essence of Indian/non-Indian partnerships and supporting teachers to cross over the tipping point.
OPI Indian Education staff provides Indian Education for All professional development for educators, school administrators, school boards and community groups. Trainings are offered both online and onsite at schools, district PIR days, and conferences at no charge.
Take these steps to provide professional development for your group.
- ASSESS professional development needs using a simple survey. Administrators (e.g. superintendents, principals, curriculum directors, IEFA coaches, teacher leaders) may request this 15 minute survey for a group, district, school building or professional learning community. Click here to request the survey. (Jfranke@mt.gov )
- PLAN for professional development by using survey results to select the IEFA professional development module that best meets those needs.
- SCHEDULE a visit from OPI Indian Education Staff, link to an online presentation, or contact Indian Education for other resources..