At your service...

Contact us via email or call us in-state toll-free between 9:00am and 5:00pm MT at 1.888.231.9393, Local 406.444.3095



Class 6 Specialist - School Psychologist

Requirements for Montana Class 6 School Psychologist Specialist Licensure

There are three pathways to meeting Montana’s requirements for Class 6 School Psychologist licensure. One of the following must be met:

  • Current credentials as a nationally certified school psychologist (NCSP) from the NationalAssociation of School Psychologists (NASP). OR
  • Completion of a specialist level degree from a NASP accredited school psychologist program which includes a 1200-hour internship, of which 600 hours were in a school setting. OR
  • For those applicants who did not earn at least a specialist level school psychology degree from an NASP accredited program, completion of a master's degree or higher in school psychology or arelated field from a regionally accredited college or university; and a recommendation from an NASP accredited specialist program attesting to the applicant’s qualifications being equivalent to NASP training standards, which included a 1200-hour internship experience of which 600 hours were in a school setting.

Additionally, the following must be met prior to licensure:

Application Process

  1. Complete the online application at:
  2. Supplemental forms to the online application; must be submitted by mail unless otherwise noted and received by OPI before your application can be processed:
  3. Official transcripts for your bachelor’s, master’s and educational specialist degrees may be sent electronically from the college or university to or mailed.
  4. Copy of your valid, unexpired credentials as a nationally certified school psychologist (NCSP) from the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP).
  5. Original completion certificate for “An Introduction to Indian Education for All in Montana” .
  6. Copy of your valid, unexpired out-of-state school psychologist license electronically or mailed to if applicable.

Mail all hard copy documents to:

Montana Office of Public Instructions
Attn. Educator Licensure
PO Box 202501
Helena, MT 59620

*Note: If you meet all requirements but have:

  • An unrestricted, expired out-of-state school psychologist license.
  • Have not earned 6 graduate level semester credits of college coursework from a regionally accredited college or university, within the past 5 years

Utilize this same application link, the system will automatically convert your Class 6 application to a Class 5 provisional license. The provisional license allows you to be employed in Montana as a school psychologist while completing the outstanding requirements. This license is valid for a period of up to three years from date of validation.

If you have a master's degree or greater in school psychology or related field from a regionally accredited college or university but have not completed a School Psychologist program but are within four courses of completion of the school psychologist program follow the step shown above.

Questions: Please call us at 406-444-3150

If you chose to use the paper application for either the Class 6 Specialist School Psychologist or Class 5 Specialist School Psychologist , all forms must be completed and returned before your application will be processed.

Class 6 School Psychologist paper application
Class 5 Provisional Specialist School Psychologist paper application