Requirements for Montana Class 2 Educator Licensure
There are three pathways to meeting Montana’s requirements for Class 2 licensure (per Administrative Rules of Montana 10.57.410). One of the following must be met:
- Completion of an educator preparation program which is accredited by NCATE, CAEP, MACTE or is a state approved program from a regionally accredited college or university AND completion of student teaching or a supervised teaching experience through an educator preparation program. OR
- Completion of a National Board Certification program. OR
- Completion of a non-traditional teaching program with five (5) successful years of teaching experience, along with a current, standard, unrestricted out-of-state educator license.
Additionally, each of the following must be met prior to licensure:
- Verification of the Montana required Praxis test score(s) meeting Montana standards for your endorsement area(s). Click here for PRAXIS information. AND
- Completion and verification of the free, on-line course “An Introduction to Indian Education for All in Montana” .
- Complete the online application at: https://apps3.opi.mt.gov/SSO/Login/Login.aspx
- Supplemental forms to the online application; must be submitted by mail unless otherwise noted and received by OPI before your application can be processed:
- Official transcripts may be sent electronically from the college or university to email@example.com ormailed.
- Verification of required Praxis test scores submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or the original mailed.
- Original completion certificate for “An Introduction to Indian Education for All in Montana”.
- Copy of your valid, unexpired out-of-state teaching license electronically to email@example.com or mailed, if applicable.
Mail all hard copy documents to:
Montana Office of Public Instructions
Attn. Educator Licensure
PO Box 202501
Helena, MT 59620
NOTE: If you meet all requirements but have:
- An unrestricted, expired out-of-state teaching license
- Have not earned 6 semester credits of college coursework from a regionally accredited college or university, within the past 5 years
Utilize this same application link, the system will automatically convert your Class 2 application to a Class 5 provisional license. The provisional license allows you to be employed in Montana as an educator while completing the outstanding requirements. This license is valid for a period of up to three years from date of validation.
Questions: Please call us at 406-444-3150
Paper Application: If you chose to apply with this application, all forms within this application must be completed and returned before your application will be processed.
Class 2 Standard Educator License paper application