Requirements for Montana Class 1 Educator Licensure
There are three pathways to meeting Montana's requirements for Class 1 licensure (per Administrative Rules of Montana 10.57.410 and 10.57.411). One of the following must be met:
- Completion of an educator preparation program which is accredited by NCATE, CAEP, MACTE or is a state approved program from a regionally accredited college or university AND completion of student teaching or a supervised teaching experience through an educator preparation program. OR
- Completion of a National Board Certification program. OR
- Completion of a non-traditional teaching program with five (5) successful years of teaching experience, along with a current, standard, unrestricted out-of-state educator license.
Additionally, each of the following must be met prior to licensure:
- Completion and verification of a master's degree in education or an endorsable area, OR, certification by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards AND
- Verification of the Montana required Praxis test score(s) meeting Montana standards for your endorsement area(s). Click here for PRAXIS information. AND
- Completion and verification of the free, on-line course "An Introduction to Indian Education for All in Montana"
- Verification of successful teaching experience while appropriately licensed and assigned:
- 3 years for applicants who completed a traditional educator preparation program
- 5 years for applicants who completed a non-traditional educator preparation program
- Complete the online application at: https://apps3.opi.mt.gov/SSO/Login/Login.asp
- Supplemental forms to the online application; must be submitted by mail unless otherwise noted and received by OPI before your application can be processed:
- Official transcripts may be sent electronically from the college or university to email@example.com or mailed.
- Verification of required Praxis test scores submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or the original mailed.
- Original completion certificate for "An Introduction to Indian Education for All in Montana".
- Copy of your valid, unexpired out-of-state teaching license electronically to email@example.com or mailed, if applicable.
Mail all hard copy documents to:
Montana Office of Public Instructions
Attn. Educator Licensure
PO Box 202501
Helena, MT 59620
NOTE: If you meet all requirements but have:
- An unrestricted, expired out-of-state teaching license
- Have not earned 6 semester credits of college coursework from a regionally accredited college or university, within the past 5 years
Utilize this same application link, the system will automatically convert your Class 1 application to a Class 5 provisional license. The provisional license allows you to be employed in Montana as an educator while completing the outstanding requirements. This license is valid for a period of up to three years from date of validation.
Questions: Please call us at 406-444-3150
(Paper Application: If you chose to apply with this application, all forms within this application must be completed and returned before your application will be processed.)
Class 1 Professional Educator License paper application