School Elections DeadlinesFriday, April 25, 2014, 10:54 am
May is the month for school elections! Please pay careful attention to these upcoming election deadlines:
- Monday, May 5th (by noon): Voters who wish to vote absentee may request an absentee ballot in writing or in person until noon the day before the election (Remember to include a section on the absentee ballot application allowing the voter to become part of the biennial absentee list).
- Monday, May 5th: The district clerk (if running the school district election) should receive a certified copy of the lists of registered electors for each polling location.
- Tuesday, May 6th: ELECTION DAY!!!
- Wednesday, May 21st: The deadline for trustees to canvass the votes, issue certificates of election and publish results. The canvassed results should be published immediately in a newspaper that will give notice to the largest number of people in the district.
- Monday, May 12th – Monday, May 27th: Petitions for a recount (when a question submitted to the voters is decided by a margin not exceeding ¼ of 1% of total votes cast) must be filed within 5 days of official canvas.
- Wednesday, May 21st: Candidates must complete and file the Oath of Office with the County Superintendent.
- Wednesday, May 21st: The deadline for trustees to hold their organizational meeting to elect chair and appoint clerk.
Friday, May 30th: The deadline for requesting the county election administrator to conduct school elections for the ensuing year.
The School Election Calendar and Election Manual are located on the OPI website at the following link: CLICK HERE
For more information, contact Janelle Mickelson, (406) 444-3249