Curriculum & Assessment: Mathematics
On November 4, 2011, Montana adopted the Common Core State Standards for Mathematical Practices and Mathematics content with the addition of Indian Education for All statements.
A plethora of information and resources are available on Montana Common Core Standards and Assessment webpage
- Timelines, Fact Sheets, Implementation Plan and curriculum resources.
- Standards documents in various K-12 and grade level forms, Mathematical Practices, High School course models and resources specific to standards for Mathematical Practices and content.
- Professional Development Resources: Getting Ready Webinar, Overview, mathematics and assessment PowerPoints, facilitator guides and materials.
- Assessment information and resources.
Due to the fact new resources are available on a daily basis and this is an evolutionary process, please check the Montana Common Core Standards and Assessment webpage often
Thank you for accepting and taking seriously the responsibility to strengthen and support students' and others' mathematical competence; because we live in a world where mathematical competence presents opportunities for prosperous futures.
Contact: Jean Howard, Mathematics Curriculum Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org 406.444.0706
State Content Standards & Assessment
State Content Standards
- Proposed Adoption: 2011 Montana Content Standards for Mathematic, June 2011 or Word Version
- Mathematics Content Standards and Performance Descriptors, Adopted Sept. 2009 or Word Version
- A Vision for Montana Mathematics
- 2009 Standards Based Framework
Standards, Curriculum and Assessment Resources
- Intervention Resources – Guidelines for creating or selecting intervention programs as well as articles, intervention issues, and Title I resources
- AAAS Project 2061 – report on curriculums and evaluation on several textbooks
- Best Evidence of Programs – reviews of math programs
- A Look at Data – 30 – 40 minute webcasts about how to analyze test items to improve instructional practice
- Curriculum Topic Study – A systematic approach to utilizing national and state standards to improve teaching and learning in science and math.
- COMPASS, Curricular Options in Mathematics Programs for All Secondary Schools – guide for choosing a curriculum and more
- CSMC, Center for the Study of Mathematics Curriculum – Databases, articles, and resources to connect curriculum to classroom
- Principles and Standards of School Mathematics (PSSM) – The mathematical understanding, knowledge, and skills that students should acquire organized by grades PK-2, 3-5, 6-8 and 9-12
- NCTM Curriculum Focal Points for Pre-K through 8th Grade Mathematics – The most important math topics at each grade level PK-8
- http://www.goenc.com/ – A search engine for standards and frameworks
- Guidelines for Assessment and Instruction in Statistics Education – (GAISE) Report
- Assessing Scientific, Reading and Mathematical Literacy – Program for International Student Assessment's (PISA)
- What does the NAEP Mathematics Assessment Measure? – "Nation's Report Card"
- The Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS) – Results, video study, released items and more
Lessons, Activities and Tools
- Web 2.0 for Math Classroom Wiki – a collection of links to skill games, puzzles, fractions, calculators, and other interactive tools to teach and learn mathematics
- A Complete List of On-line Math Resources - basic math resources, algebra, geometry, pre-calc, calc, trigonometry, and differential equations
- Resource Center – Tutorials, technology trunk, bookshelf, and problem corner link to plethora of resources
- Skill Building Lessons – Free lessons from counting to variable substitution
- Calculation Nation's – Online math strategy games
- Flash Mind Reader – Is it magic or is it math?
- Math Motivation – High School Videos and lessons
- Algebra Help Lessons with step-by-step explanations and other algebra resources
- Counting for parents – Resource with videos and key information about counting
- Math World – Comprehensive and interactive mathematics encyclopedia
- Primary Resources – Lesson plans and materials
- Posters Promote Appreciation – American Mathematical Society provides Mathematical Moments to be shared visually
- Interactive Mathematics Explanations and examples from basic algebra to advanced calculus
- http://www.womeninscience.org/ – "The Sounds of Progress" Radio series about the role of girls and women in STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics)
- Daily Math – Puzzles, speed tests, other ideas; try Starter of the Day
- Kid Info – Resources, videos, and games for students, teachers, and parents
- Time Monsters – For individuals or pairs of students to learn about time on their own
- K-12 Publication "What to Pack: Getting Prepared for Your Career Journey" it is at the same site as K-12 Publications "Who Needs Math?"
- Indian Education for All – Support materials and specific mathematics lessons
- Doing What Works – Review research, essentials, recommended practices and planning templates.
- ON-Math, Online Journal Of School Mathematics – "A broad range of ideas for teaching and learning mathematics at any level."
- Figure This! – "Helping families enjoy mathematics outside school through a series of fun and engaging, high-quality challenges."
- K-12 Publications include "Who Needs Math?" – And more
- Annenberg teacher resources and links to resources for all levels
- PBS Teacher
- George Lucas Educational Foundation
- The National Science Digital Library – Search engine for general, K-12, Higher Ed & Research and specialized search
- The Mathematical Association of America Career Profiles – "Why should I study math?"
- Problems with a Point – Help for students in grades 6-12 as well as information for teachers concerning classroom issues
- http://www.goenc.com/ – A search engine for lessons and activities
- ECALC – A free online calculator.
- Math Dictionary – 600 interactive mathematical definitions for elementary students.
- GeoGebra – A free and multi-platform dynamic mathematics software for schools that joins geometry, algebra and calculus. It received several international awards including the European and German educational software awards.
- National Library of Virtual Manipulatives
- Interactive Java-based tools and activities
- Education Northwest
- Governor and First Lady's Math and Science Initiative
- Math is More
- Montana Association for Supervision and Curriculum (MTASCD)
- Montana Council of Teachers of Mathematics (MCTM)
- Montana Science Teachers Association (MSTA)
- National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics (NCSM)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)